Monday, September 12, 2011

Stolen Heart

I don't think you can ever really prepare yourself for a goodbye. I haven't let myself cry since I have been here but the tears are currently welling up in my eyes as the end of my time in Kenya is here. The only thing that makes it okay is that Lord willing I will be back. Hopefully soon. Kenya stole my heart.

I am happy to report that all donations were hand delivered to the slum clinic on Saturday. They were so gracious and grateful, and it was a joy and privilege to get to be the messenger. One day I will go back there, but in the meantime, I will keep in touch with all the wonderful people who work there.

I will come home the same physical body, but my soul, my mind, my heart have all been changed. I fear it will be all too easy to transition back into my comfortable life in the US, where the biggest stress of the day is studying for a nursing test or getting stuck in traffic. I can only hope that I can find meaning in both worlds. In a lot of ways, life seems more real here in Kenya. You cannot shy away from suffering, from sickness, from death. Based on circumstances, new life, a plentiful harvest, another day to live are all things to be celebrated.

Kenya...thank you. From the bottom of my heart. To all the wonderful, gracious people I have met over the past month, it has been a pleasure. I wish I could stay longer. I wish I had the ability and the resources to ease your burdens. Thank you for taking me in like a member of your family. Thank you for your willingness to teach and to share part of your lives. I'll be back. It's not goodbye. I'll see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. "I can only hope that I can find meaning in both worlds." Dearest Alyssa, I think you spoke from my heart. This is helping me get through my day. I am sharing your burden with you. Love, Karlee

    ReplyDelete