Thursday, September 8, 2011

Reluctant Goodbyes

I can hardly believe this adventure is almost over. In four days, I will be boarding an airplane and begin my journey back to California. I fear that once I arrive home, my previous life will resume quickly and easily, despite my attempts to keep that from happening. I always dread the transition period of returning to the culture and the life in which I was born and raised. Don't get me wrong- I will be very happy to see my family and friends, and to have the opportunity to tell them of all I have experienced over the past month. However, it is hard to know you are leaving behind a country so in need with so many people suffering. I hate that I have such a comfortable life to return to, and that as much as I might like to think I have sacrificed, I quickly am convicted that no matter what conditions I have seen here in Kenya, I still have one thing that so many people don't: security. Lots to think about.

So today was my last day at the hospital. I have to say that it was a pretty darn good day, as far as last days are concerned. It began with most of the typical tasks that nurses in Kenya do....bed making, dusting, 10 am observations. Things got a bit exciting when I realized one of the mothers in the labor area was in labor, and what appeared to be quite close to a delivery. Sure enough, the head nurse came over to check to see how dilated she was, and in the process of gathering the supplies, I looked and could see the baby's head starting to come out! So I got the privilege of being present for another birth- this one occurred quite quickly and it was so amazing to be able to assist delivering a baby! As soon as the baby came out, the nurse handed the baby boy to me and I took him to the nursery and welcomed him into the world. Let me just say, the second time was just as good as the first. And it was really the perfect ending to my time spent on the maternity ward.

And then it was time for goodbye....as I was taking vital signs in the afternoon, I began the process of saying goodbye to some of the patients that I had grown close to. The women are so amazing....one lady who has been there for 2 weeks wanted to add me on Facebook so she could tell me when she had her baby...and right then and there we scrolled through a lot of "Alyssa Singh's" on her cell phone until we found me. Another mom told me that she thought maybe I should get a boyfriend so that "Kenya could be my home forever." She even offered up her brother. I said goodbye to the nurses and a couple of the medical students. I had written them a short thank you note and had bought 1 oz bottles of hand sanitizer as a small gift, as they have been so mesmerized by mine. They were so grateful. My final goodbye was to the security guard, Josephine. We took a picture and she told me if she ever gets a Visa from the Embassy, she will come and visit. Bless her heart.

I have been holding back tears most of the afternoon. The thought of leaving Kenya is starting to sink in and really breaking my heart. I think the thing that makes it okay is that I know when I do come back next time I will be more equipped and more able to help people and learn more. I just have to hold on that this isn't goodbye, just a see you later....maybe even a see you soon. Only God knows that.

No comments:

Post a Comment