Sunday, September 4, 2011

Slum Clinic & Tea Fields

It has been a wonderful weekend here in Kenya. Currently, it is pouring rain and the sound of the rain on the roof is one of my favorite sounds. Today my friend Elena and I decided to take a day off (weekend volunteering is optional) and take a walk to the tea fields. We had been told by previous volunteers that "there is this place where you can go have lunch and a tour and buy tea." We had attempted to get directions, but as we left mid-morning, we had very little concrete information to go off of. So we walked through the tea fields near where we are staying, took pictures, and figured we would just ask for more specific directions along the way. Well, everyone we attempted to talk to either seemed to have no idea about this place we were asking about, or they were convinced we actually wanted to go to this waterfall picnic area. So after a long walk following wrong directions, we finally came across a security guard at a school who knew what we were talking about and pointed us in the right direction. I was very happy when we finally saw the sign for Kiambethu Tea Farm.

It is a lovely place. The tea farm has been owned by the same family for four generations, a white couple that have lived in Kenya their whole lives, Fiona & Marcus. We were treated like royalty...served a cup of tea in the main house and given some information about how tea is grown and manufactured, and a bit of family history. Then we had a little tour of the surrounding forest and tea fields by this Kenyan gentleman who was quite funny. This was followed by drinks on the veranda and then a scrumptious lunch at a table set for 2 on the main lawn (there were other visitors there as well, but we had a separate table)...so much delicious food: soup, bread rolls, beef, potatoes, vegetables, green salad, fruit salad, cheese & crackers, homemade ice cream, and souffle. Such good food and a beautiful place to enjoy it. We purchased some of the tea that they grow, and signed the guestbook. As we walked outside to head back, we could hear a storm brewing, and Marcus graciously offered to drive us home.

Yesterday, I got to go back to the slum clinic, which I was completely stoked about. When I arrived, a woman had just given birth and although the baby was fine, it has been a struggle to get the baby out. The mom was still bleeding significantly and had multiple tears that really needed serious repair. The electricity was out, so the nurse had me hold a flashlight so she could see where to stitch. I handed her supplies as she attempted to stop the bleeding with cotton and stitches. I asked this nurse if she had ever been taught how to do this type of work, and she just smiled and said, I just have had to teach myself. And that really sums up how these dedicated nurses are. They just go above and beyond the call of duty...doing everything from delivering babies to immunizing children to treating malaria, measles, HIV/AIDs, to cleaning the place to counseling. I am just so inspired and amazed by the work they do. They work often for 24 hour shifts or longer, and most of them have a second job in order to bring in enough income (as the clinic is so underfunded that they essentially are volunteering there time). After spending awhile assisting the nurse, I spent an hour talking to the director of the clinic. This was a very beneficial conversation as I learned about how the clinic came to be, their mission, how they manage to fund themselves, their policy for treating everyone regardless of ability to pay, and their hopes for the future.

I was happy to tell him, Peter is his name, about the generous donations I have received from family, friends, and classmates in the States. The most pressing supply needs are gloves and cotton wool. He also said they have limited supplies of some vital medications. So next week, I will bring the donation and it will be put into an account from which they buy supplies. We discussed how it is better for them to buy things on an as needed basis, as if they get too many items in stock they may expire or be a target for theft. He mentioned that 2 things they would LOVE to eventually have were a wheelchair and a stretcher. I can assure you that this clinic is very worthwhile and a respected place in the area. The work they are doing is vital to improving the quality of life for the people living in the slums. At multiple points in the conversation I was holding back tears, because it really is something so near to my heart.

Logistically I don't know how this will work out, but I want to move to Kenya and work in that clinic. And I want to raise more funds. So my mind is already spinning with passion and ideas and new projects I probably don't have time for, but I can assure you this will NOT be the last time you will hear about the slum clinic.

Thank you to EVERYONE who donated money. I am so honored to be able to share it with such a deserving project. I pray God will continue to bless you all for your generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment