Thursday, August 11, 2011

Seasons


Tomorrow is my last day of my job at summer camp. As to be expected, this ending is bittersweet. I will not miss the long hours on my feet, losing my voice by days end, dragging kids to thinking corner, or constantly playing referee among feisty first graders. However, I will miss the times when a child would come up to me and say "Miss Alyssa, you look beautiful today." Or when a certain little boy would fall asleep while serving his time in the corner. I will miss the dozens of pictures that were created especially for me, and the moments when I could tell the kids were just absolutely delighted, full of smiles and innocent laughter. [The moment that immediately comes to mind was water day...the kids LOVED chasing and squirting me with water :) ] In Ecclesiastes, it says "to everything there is a season." And I would have to agree. I know it is time for this season to end. Now I must entrust these little ones to the Lord and ask that they grow up to be kind, honest, and hardworking men and women who love the Lord.

In just 2 days, I will be off on my adventure to Kenya. I have been so blessed by my friends and family. Thank you to every one of you who supported my efforts to raise funds to purchase much-needed medical supplies. I will purchase the supplies in country which allows me to not only support the local economy, but also to really obtain the items that the organization really needs as I see it firsthand. Thank you to all of my friends who have sent me letters, packages, and other forms of encouragement. You are such a blessing in my life.

The road to get to this point in time has not been easy. There have been some bumps and potholes along the way. Even yesterday it seems I strained my calf muscle, and in the process of me trying to ice it, I ended up causing freezer burn on my leg. Ha Ha. But I am doing well. Just a minor setback. Only now can I see the road that has led up to this trip really has taught me so much about myself, about God, and really how to really appreciate all that is good in my life. Without some hard times, it is easy to take the good ones for granted.

Today a co-worker asked me if I was scared to go. And I said no. And that was the honest answer. The way I see it....we have NO idea how many days we get in this life. All of our days are numbered. And as much as we try to protect ourselves from danger and suffering, ultimately it is God who dictates our lives. And if my last day is spent in a country that I dearly love doing what my heart is passionate about...then I can't think of a better way to leave this Earth. However, : ) please do pray for safety, for health, for protection, and for God's abundant love and mercy to radiate from my entire being.

Stay tuned...next post will be from Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment