Friday, August 26, 2011

Gaining Perspective

As I was journaling a couple nights ago, I had this thought that really spoke to me:
I know a lot about Kenya but not a lot about Kenyans.

It takes a long time to really get to know a people. It's like you take for granted that you really know your own culture because you have been raised in it to the point where it is completely natural. It is only when coming into contact with another's culture that you begin to realize things about your own culture. Of course, I recognize a month is not near enough time to get to know the Kenyan culture, but I do believe it is a good starting point. I can read books, perform Google searches, talk about Africa, support causes....but it is a completely different thing to get to know the people...to understand the way they think about things, to know what they value, what makes them happy and sad and upset and content, to hear their stories, to begin to share in their lives as a companion as opposed to an observer. It may be years before I have the chance to move here permanently, but for now I will relish in all the opportunities I have been provided to come to know Kenyans.

A couple examples to share. When I arrived at the baggage claim in the Nairobi airport, an African Impact driver named Bernard picked me up. Now I was exhausted from long travels, it was raining outside, and here I was with this complete stranger driving a good 2 hours to Limuru....but thanks be to God, we immediately connected. We shared about our families, our travels, our passions. We talked about our faith, hardships we had been through, and beauty of Kenya. We discussed our mutual love of reading and I showed him the book I was reading at the time, "Strength in What Remains" by Tracy Kidder. He nonchalantly asked if he could read it, and I said I would be happy to give it to him once I had finished. Well yesterday was the first time that I have seen him since, and this morning I presented him with the book. Oh, the look of joy in his face! Now this book cost me less than $5, but to him, this book was such a valuable gift.

Yesterday I was in the maternity ward and was quite happy to see Mary, a nursing student I had met a few days before. She graciously let me tag along and assist her with her daily routine. We were able to share some laughs and I began to pick up on her sense of humor. After we shared a cup of tea together (this is a very important part of a nurse's day), she told me that for lunch we would go to "the place where she likes to eat and fall asleep." I just smiled and happily followed her outside as she took me back behind the hospital buildings to a grassy area behind the surgical theatre. We took a seat and began to eat our lunch in the sun. We talked some, but mostly eat and sat in silence, just enjoying each other's company while resting both our body and mind. When our lunch time was over, we picked ourselves up and happily walked back into the ward, ready to get back to work.

It's amazing how quickly you end up adapting to a new place after just a short time. For instance, today on the ride home one of the volunteers said, "Hey look, there's a camel." Surprisingly, my initial reaction was just to casually look out the window and think to myself, "hmm that's a nice looking camel." I expect the roads to be uneven, bumpy, and at times cause you to hit your head on the roof of the van. I always bring hand sanitizer as I rarely have water, soap, AND something to dry my hands with. I'm not surprised that when children on the road see me they either smile and wave excitedly, or look completely frightened. Still, there are things I am NOT used to. First one being haggling. I absolutely hate it! Today the minute we walk into the Masai Market in Nairobi, you have every vendor yelling at you, trying to shake your hand, asking you to look at their merchandise, and reminding you that "looking is free." Yet the very second you even glance at something they are selling, it is as if you have committed to buy it! And you can never just tell them you want to buy just ONE, they want you to buy 2, 3, even 4. And you just want to say "I am sorry but I do not want four chessboards" or "The last thing I need is a carved elephant and zebra," but of course, you end up saying "I'll think about it." And then if you actually WANT something, the games begin. Sometimes they will not even give you a price to start at, they instead make YOU tell them a price. Although this sounds customer friendly, it is definitely not. You name a price too high and then you just got ripped off. You name a price too low and they feel completely insulted, and you feel guilty as you are fully aware you have more than that in your pocket. So you convince them to tell you a price. Someone told me to get a fair price (as they try to rip us off because we are white and are loaded with money), you need to take the price they offer, divide it in 1/2 and then subtract a couple 100 shillings. Of course, when you name this newly calculated price, they act like you have just shot them in the heart. So then you are faced with a dilemma...do you give in and increase your offer substantially? Or do you stand firm and walk away insisting that is your price? Do you attempt to increase your price a little bit and meet in the middle? Sometimes when I reach this crossroad, I realize I may not even want this painting or bowl or necklace at all! All this to say, I got some nice artwork today at a good price. And I am exhausted.


No comments:

Post a Comment