Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Day in the Life



This week was my first week back at clinical for the quarter. I am on a new floor, and so far have enjoyed it very much. I had an amazing patient. I really enjoyed getting to know her and learned a lot about how attitude and faith that better things are yet to come really does impact recovery.

On a different note, I paid careful attention to the amount of medical supplies I used during the 8 hours in the hospital.

-Computer: all charting is done electronically
-Dynamap: this is an all-inclusive vitals monitor; I also used a thermometer
-Stethoscope
-watch
-Gloves (and LOTS of them), probably at least 10 pairs
-2 band aids
-5 towels for a shower
-tape
-2 packs peri-wipes
-gait belt, walker
-alcohol swabs
-misc. personal care items
-gauze pad
-all her medications (taken from a fully stocked medication room)


And honestly, this was a relatively non-complex patient who didn't require a whole lot of care. It definitely puts things into perspective- it's just hard to even imagine how a nurse can care for patients without any supplies.

1 comment:

  1. Lys this has been on my mind so much this week. I can't believe that people use gloves just to walk someone around the hall- I wanted to say, don't you realize most of the world doesn't even have gloves. The availability of resources is unbelievable. We have a huge responsibility to use what we have honorably, I'm not sure that US hospitals do that.

    ReplyDelete