Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Call Me Crazy

Just under a week ago, I decided that I wanted to do something tangible to assist the health clinic which I will be volunteering at this summer when I travel to Kenya. As soon as I found out the items on the clinic's wish list included gloves, Band-aids, gauze, and a number of other things that I completely take for granted in the clinical setting, I knew that a new opportunity had just arrived on my doorstep.

Now I have a tendency to over-commit and say yes to almost anything that sounds relatively interesting and worthwhile that comes my way. So why did I decide this was something I most definitely needed to pursue? In short- God put the desire on my heart and it is something I am totally excited about that no one asked or expected me to do. And it is one of those things where if I don't step out in faith and advocate on behalf of this small health clinic in the middle of a large African slum, then there likely isn't going to be anyone else, at least at this point in time, who is going to do so. And if that isn't enough motivation right there, then I am not sure what is.

So in less than a week, I have already lined up three class presentations, drafted an action plan, recruited the help of a few close friends, drafted a letter to send to larger corporations, and researched the average cost of a variety of medical supplies wholesale.

Call me crazy, but I am doing this. And I look forward to seeing how God provides. As my good friend Grace told me, you never know what you can do until you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment