Friday, May 6, 2011

A Thankful Heart


This week was arguably one of the most crazy weeks in my entire life. To get a small taste of what I mean, over the first 4 nights of this week, I got a total of 10 hours of sleep. (Sorry mom!) But as I have said before, God is so faithful and there were so many moments that I look back on and am so grateful for.

I gave 3 presentations about Kenya this week to Microbiology, Junior, and Senior Nursing classes. They were all so wonderful- attentive and supportive. Microbiology alone donated $247 on the spot! Probably the most rewarding part of it all is having conversations with people afterwards, and hearing about what other people are passionate about. That was one of the reasons why I really wanted to do these presentations- there is just something about hearing someone talk about something that their heart is passionate about that makes the person watching think about what it is that they love and care about. Even though I only have one more presentation scheduled, I just don't really want to stop! So we will see where God leads next.

I have run into a roadblock, but as far as roadblocks go, it is a GREAT one to run into. Basically, this whole campaign/supply drive thing has gone way beyond the scope I initially had anticipated. I have already raised more than enough money to stock up the Mukuru clinic's supply room. So now I am considering finding another clinic or two to provide supplies too. I also realize that there is no way I can take all the supplies with me, so I am exploring options of purchasing supplies locally. It really would be the best option- it would help to support the local economy, I wouldn't have to try and transport a ton of supplies, and it would allow for things to be purchased more on an as-needed basis. I would have the opportunity to actually assess the needs and then purchase supplies accordingly, which would be ideal. At this point, I am trusting that God will continue to direct me, and pray that all the people who have donated will rest assured that I will ensure their money goes to the purchasing of medical supplies.

When I think about how many people have come together to support this cause, I just have to say "Thank You Lord" because it really is unbelievable. I mean we are still in economically challenging times, many donations have come from college students attending a very expensive school, and this is just one of many, many good causes to support all around the world. I can only say thank you, and all glory be to the Lord.


1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, I love your blog and all that is happening in your life, and especially your heart and passion for Kenya. I went on a short mission trip to Tanzania in March - it was amazing. I don't really have any skills to offer, but saw and felt, and hopefully shared the love of Jesus while I was there. And I have had several opportunities to share since I have returned and have really loved it. You think you are busy now...wait till you return with photos and stories to assimilate and manage and share!!!

    ReplyDelete