Thursday, July 9, 2015

Pushing the Mountains


It's challenging to adequately sum up my experiences thus far in Kenya.  Sure, I can post photos, and tell short anecdotes, but there is just something about being here.  Being with the people.  Laughing together.  Learning from each other.  Sharing a meal.  Hearing stories.  And dreaming big.



Today, Laura and I walked all around Kibera.  You may have heard of Kibera.  It is one of the largest slums - definitely in Africa, and potentially in the entire world.  It is hard to get an exact number of the population, but those living and working there say it is close to 1.5 million people living in around 2.5 square kilometers.  When I was seeking out potential new partner clinics for Imani last year, I did not necessarily have any preference in terms of what slum they operated in.  I was more focused on finding a partner that was passionate about the community they served, provided health services, and was Kenyan born and raised.  I found that in Andrew, and in our partner, Makina Clinic.

Walking around with Andrew is kind of like walking alongside a celebrity.  He knows everyone.  He phone is always ringing.  He speaks to people in their mother tongue, as he knows 7 languages.  I told Laura it was like walking around the slum with Jesus - Andrew's heart for people is so big, and even though he had many opportunities to get out of Kibera, where he was born, he continues to stay and invest.  He is a dreamer, and hearing his passion and vision is contagious.


Today, he said "We (Kenyans) are stubborn.  We push the mountains."

He followed that up with "Alyssa....she is stubborn too."


Pushing the mountains.  What a great picture of what it feels like sometimes - trying to address such monumental issues, sometimes feeling that your efforts carry little to no weight.  There are times I do get discouraged - like when I heard about a cholera outbreak that occurred just a few weeks before I was to come to Kenya.  I felt helpless and defeated.  Sure, you can treat cholera.  With extensive fluid resuscitation, cholera does not have to be a death sentence.  Yet the epidemiology of cholera - where it came from - those issues are much more complicated to address.  Lack of clean water.  High population density.  Little to no sanitation system.  Families of 10 living in a small room.  How can one even begin to address these facts?  How can a small non-profit run by volunteers make a difference?


But I thank God for days like today.  Days were I am refueled, re-energized, and ready to fight.  To dream.  To push the mountain.  I refuse to believe that the situation is hopeless.  Just because I cannot help everyone does not mean I should walk away from the opportunity to help someone.  People matter.  One child rescued from being abandoned in the sewer matters.  One young woman who grew up in the slums, witnessed the horrors of Garissa, and is pursuing nursing matters.  One young man who used to rob people at gunpoint who now helps children with their homework matters.  One widow who now takes ARVs and encourages others to do the same matters.  And supporting those who are here, on the ground, doing this work, is a privilege and an honor.

So I will press on, as I continue to day-by-day discern the calling that God has placed on my life.  I won't give up.  I will push mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment